Cody Garrett Runnels, better known by his ring name Cody Rhodes, was born on June 30, 1985, in Marietta, Georgia. He is the son of WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes and the half-brother of fellow professional wrestler Goldust.
Cody grew up around professional wrestling and developed a passion for it from a young age. He made his wrestling debut in 2006 for Ohio Valley Wrestling, a developmental territory for WWE. In 2007, he made his debut on WWE’s main roster as a part of the tag team “The World’s Greatest Tag Team” with Hardcore Holly.
In 2008, Cody teamed up with Ted DiBiase Jr. to form the tag team “The Legacy,” which was led by Randy Orton. The team quickly became a dominant force in WWE and won the Tag Team Championship multiple times.
Cody’s career took a new direction in 2011 when he adopted the persona of “Stardust,” a character with face paint and a strange, otherworldly demeanor. He teamed up with his brother Goldust and won the WWE Tag Team Championship.
In 2016, Cody left WWE and began wrestling on the independent circuit. He made a name for himself in companies such as Ring of Honor, New Japan Pro Wrestling, and Impact Wrestling. He also created his own wrestling event called “All In,” which drew a massive crowd of over 10,000 fans and helped kickstart the growth of All Elite Wrestling (AEW).
In 2019, Cody became one of the executive vice presidents of AEW, which has quickly become one of the largest wrestling companies in the world. He has continued to wrestle for AEW and has won multiple championships, including the TNT Championship and the AEW World Tag Team Championship.
Throughout his career, Cody has also dabbled in acting and appeared in several films and TV shows, including “Arrow” and “Supernatural.” In 2023, he was the winner of the royal rumble.
Why did Cody Rhodes wear a mask?
In 2013, Cody Rhodes started wearing a mask as a part of his new gimmick as “Stardust.” This character was an alter-ego of Rhodes, with face paint and a strange, otherworldly demeanor. The mask was a part of the overall look and feel of the character, as it helped to create a mysterious and otherworldly vibe.
The character of Stardust was created as a way for Rhodes to reinvent himself and break away from his previous persona. He had grown tired of playing a “plain vanilla” babyface and wanted to explore new character options.
The Stardust gimmick was initially intended to be a temporary one, but it proved to be popular with fans and ended up sticking around for several years. During this time, Rhodes became one of the most popular and recognizable wrestlers in WWE.
Ultimately, Rhodes left WWE in 2016 and moved on to other wrestling companies, where he abandoned the Stardust persona and returned to wrestling under his real name.
Also, Read – Cody Rhode’s Quotes — These are inspirational quotes about never giving up.
Why do people love Cody Rhodes?
There are several reasons why people love Cody Rhodes. Here are a few:
- Charisma: Cody Rhodes has a natural charisma that draws people in. He’s confident, articulate, and has a great sense of humor. This makes him an engaging performer both in and out of the ring.
- Talent: Rhodes is an incredibly talented wrestler. He has a unique style that blends technical wrestling with high-flying moves, and he can tell compelling stories in the ring. He’s also a gifted promo, able to cut great promos and connect with the audience.
- Resilience: Rhodes has had a long and challenging journey in the wrestling business. He’s had to work hard to establish himself and create his own path, often against the odds. This resilience has earned him the respect and admiration of many fans.
- Innovation: Rhodes is known for being innovative and creative. He’s constantly looking for new ways to entertain his audience and push the boundaries of what’s possible in wrestling. This has led to some memorable moments and matches throughout his career.
- Authenticity: Rhodes is known for being genuine and authentic. He’s open and honest with his fans, and he’s not afraid to speak his mind. This transparency has helped him to build a strong connection with his audience and has earned him a loyal following.
Cody Rhode’s net worth
As of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, Cody Rhodes’ estimated net worth is around $5 million USD. It’s important to note that net worth estimates can fluctuate over time and may not always be accurate or up-to-date. Rhodes has earned his wealth through his career as a professional wrestler, as well as through his various business ventures and entertainment projects, including his work as an executive vice president for All Elite Wrestling (AEW) and his appearances in films and television shows.
Cody Rhodes Family
Cody Rhodes comes from a prominent wrestling family. Here is a brief overview of his immediate family members:
- Father: Cody’s father was the late Dusty Rhodes, who was a legendary wrestler and a WWE Hall of Famer. Dusty Rhodes was one of the most famous and influential wrestlers of his era and helped to shape the industry in many ways.
- Mother: Cody’s mother is Michelle Rubio, who married Dusty Rhodes from 1978 until he died in 2015. Rubio was a model and actress before she met Rhodes.
- Brother: Cody has one older half-brother, Dustin Rhodes, who is also a professional wrestler. Dustin is best known for his work in WWE under the ring name “Goldust.” He has won multiple championships and is a WWE Hall of Famer.
- Wife: Cody is married to fellow professional wrestler Brandi Rhodes (nee Reed). Brandi is also an executive for All Elite Wrestling, and the two have worked together on various projects. They got married in 2013 and have one daughter together named Liberty Iris Runnels.
Overall, Cody Rhodes has had a successful and varied career in professional wrestling and entertainment, carving out a unique path for himself outside of the shadow of his famous father.
Featured Image Credit: Photo by Bruno Bueno; Pexels; Thank you!